Monday, June 6, 2011

Father's Week: Pizza on the Grill



For Father's Day my family will be doing some barbecuing as I am sure many of you will. I came across this pizza on the grill recipe, and I was excited to try it out. I was thrilled with the results!


I thought it would be really fun to have a pizza bar for Father's Day. You can have a whole table filled with different toppings that everyone can put on their own pizza.


Here are a few changes to the recipe as well as my suggestions and things that worked for me.


Make the Dough

4 1/2 cups of flour 
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon yeast



  • Put your yeast and warm water in a cup and put it to the side and let the yeast dissolve while you are getting your bowl and ingredients out.
  • Combined honey, oil, and water/ yeast mixture and mix together. Add flour and mix or knead for 3-5 minutes.
  • The recipe calls for 3-5 cups of flour. I made it once using 4 cups and it tasted great but when I used 4 1/2 it made the dough more stiff and it didn't stick to things as much while you are moving it around.
  • Separate the dough into 8 balls. Use your hands to flatten and make a round pizza that is 1/4 inch thick. Mine turned out to be 6-8 inch across.
Barbecue the Pizza
  • Warm up your barbeque so it is a medium-high temperature. 
  • Place the dough onto the barbecue and let it cook for 2 minutes or until brown and puffy. 
  • Take the dough off the grill and place it on a cookie sheet the cooked side facing up.
  • Add your own toppings.
  • Place back onto the grill for another 5 minutes or until bottom side is brown and cheese is melted.
I made a barbecue chicken pizza and it was wonderful! If you are having a pizza bar the toppings are endless; pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, pineapple, tomatoes, bacon, the list keeps going.


Do you want more barbecuing ideas? On Wednesday Erica will be giving us a few tips on grilling corn! I can't wait to see what she will be sharing!!


5 comments:

NVFP said...

Thats a great idea! I love it. Thanks for sharing :D

Jodee said...

YUM! I can't wait to try this!!

idesign said...

must try this soon :)

Jackie
http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

Chef in Training said...

Oh my gosh! I have to try this soon! I seriously love your blog! you have some great recipes! I am already a follower of yours, but I would love it if you would follow mine too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Emily Thompson said...

When I talked to my mom today, she was also grilling pizza! :o) Is it better than in the oven? Wanted to invite you to come on over to my tasty Tuesday link party! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/2011/06/authentic-fried-rice-tasty-tuesday-link.html