We wanted to use bead board but it can get pretty expensive so my husband decided to use wood paneling. I actually kind of liked it better because it had all of these pretty knots that would look awesome when we started distressing.
After the paneling was added we put a molding on the top and bottom and a corner molding on the sides. We left the front of the cabinet the way it was. After sanding everything smooth we were ready to paint.
We did two coats of black paint then distressed it and finished it all up with a high gloss lacquer. It turned out way shinier than we thought.
I love how it turned out and I love the black against the tile. I think it adds so much to my kitchen and it looks like a whole new place!