Monday, October 17, 2011

Garden Fresh Tomato Soup

Yesterday my husband wasn’t feeling well and he asked for soup. Let’s back up a bit. All growing up I hated soup but realized in the past couple of years that I just didn’t like the soups my Mom liked and made. I don’t have many recipes for soups but have tried them here and there and have loved some.

So… my husbands sick and he asked if I would make him soup. Of course I wanted to help any way I could. I called a wonderful friend who is an amazing cook and asked for help, she gave me hands down the best soup recipe that I have ever tasted. Remember I am picky.

Why is this tomato soup so great? I have a few tomatoes from the garden (not enough to can) and it was perfect to throw them in, peal and all. It had a very rich flavor and it was a great comfort food.

With fall just approaching I thought you might want the recipe too.
The recipe is from allrecipes but I made a few modifications that contributed to my newly founded favorite soup.

Garden Fresh Tomato Soup


Ingredients 
         4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
         1 sliced onion
         2 large scoops of minced garlic
         2 cups chicken broth
         4 tablespoons butter
         2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
         1 teaspoon salt
         2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste

Directions

1.             Saute onions, garlic and butter over medium heat until the onions caramelize and are soft.
2.              In a stockpot, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, chicken broth, and sauted onions and garlic. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all of the flavors. Remove from heat and put in put in a blender until smooth.
3.              In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown. Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest. Season with sugar and salt, and adjust to taste.


I paired it with some fantastic quick and easy Divine Bread Sticks from Mel's Kitchen.

The whole family enjoyed!

No comments: