I'll summarize a few of my favorite points:
- Plan ahead. Be sure the family knows to keep the scheduled day open. Even if it is just for the morning, don't plan anything for that time.
- Be sure to have all the supplies you'll need prior to the cleanup day.
- Turn off cell phones. (Remind your kids that they won't die if they miss a text.)
- Make a playlist with every ones favorite music.
- Be sure chores are age appropriate.
- Hide tokens the kids can find as they clean. Have a reward for who finds the most. This adds a little competition and gets them going.
- Plan a reward for when the job is done.