Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mexican Haystacks


I found this recipe on Kiki & Company.  It looked so good I had to have it right away.  The only problem I had was time.  I decided to make this 2 hours before dinner.  That is not enough to put anything in the slow cooker.  I thought I would share with you the changes I made to speed things up.  Here is the original recipe.


Mexican Haystacks
8 oz cream cheese
2 C milk
1 C water
1 C sour cream
2 tsp cumin
1 med sweet onion diced
1 Tbl chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Dip
3-4 frozen chicken breasts
2 Can diced green chilies
1 bag frozen corn
2 cans black beans
2 cans Rotel
Fresh cilantro
cheese
The instructions say to mix everything together except for the chicken, corn, beans, and Rotel.  Then heat it and blend together.  After that you add the sauce plus the ingredients you previously left out to a crock pot and cook all day.  
The changes I made were to heat the first part in a saucepan.  Then I cut the chicken into little pieces and pan fried them.  I added the chicken, corn, beans, and Rotel to the sauce and heated everything together.  It didn't take very long.  Meanwhile I cooked some rice.  You serve it over tortilla chips, rice, top it with some cheese and salsa and because I am a sour cream fanatic, I had to add some of that as well.  Yum!
I highly recommend this recipe, it was so good, plus my husband loved it.  He said he just wanted to eat the sauce like a dip.

No comments: