Friday, January 13, 2012

Fajita Seasoning

If you'll remember this post I told a silly story about cooking from scratch and myself. I used to rely heavily on premade and prepackaged items to get me through cooking. I am now having fun trying new recipes and adding my own twists to things to get the flavor right for me. When I first married my husband it was hard to make dinner. He came from a home that everything was done from scratch and was always so flavorful and took what seemed like an eternity to cook. In my home Hamburger Helper was a staple. (I still love it!) He was not willing to settle on my casseroles and boxed dinners. Boy am I glad about that...most of the time. At the beginning we had about 5 meals that were very regular. They were easy enough for me to make without him. Fajitas were one of those meals. We ate them a lot. So much that we burned ourselves out on them and probably only have them two or three times a year now. Last night I was trying to think of what to make for dinner today. We haven't had fajitas for a while so I thought it would be perfect. I went to the spice rack to get the fajita seasoning out so I could start marinating the chicken and there was none! Oh, I hate that. Just when you think you have the perfect idea you're missing the key ingredient. Well, thanks to the world wide web I found out you can make your own seasoning just like what you buy in the packet, for a fraction of the cost! The best part is the ingredients are all things we always have. I switched a few things up a little because it didn't smell right; here is what I came up with.

What You Need:
3 T Cornstarch
2 T Chili Powder
1 T Sea Salt
1 T Paprika (I used smoked paprika and it might be a little too strong)
1 T sugar
2 t Onion Powder
3/4 t Garlic Powder
1/2 t Red Pepper Flakes
1 t Cumin

Put everything in an air tight storage container: bowl or ziploc bag. Mix it well. Two tablespoons equals about one packet.

Put the chicken in a baggie or a bowl with a lid and add two tablespoons of the seasoning. Coat the chicken well. Let it sit in the fridge at least half an hour. I did mine the night before. Add a little lime juice about an hour or two before you're ready to cook the chicken. Cut the chicken in slices and saute in an olive oil coated pan for about five minutes. Add sliced onion and green pepper and saute for an additional three minutes. Serve on warm tortillas with cheese and sour cream.

1 comment:

Erica said...

I'm with you!! I always use packets and easy to make dinners. My husband is just the opposite. When he makes dinner it is an event!