I am really excited about this new piece. The kind of excited that I couldn't stop smiling all the way home from the local thrift store with it in the back of my car.
I found this beauty and knew immediately it was a must, even though I was splurging on my average DI purchase. I payed $30 for this guy.
After a fun filled hour or two ripping it all up and taking the ugly out it was time to start the sanding, painting, adding two shelves, bead board, painting handles and sewing up a bench pillow.
There were two things that I did different than I have in the past and I was thrilled with the results.
First, I added termite holes during the antiquing process. A friend that worked for a cabinet company suggested this. I took a nail and a hammer and started making larger holes using more pressure and then lightened up until they were small marks. This really gave it texture and a finishing touch.
Second, I put a small amount of stain where I had sanded the white boards, all corners, sides and knots in the wood. This made the antiquing pop and match the bottom bench seat better.
My kids where thrilled when they saw me filling the shelf with their favorite books. They have spent hours in it already.