Monday, September 5, 2011

Gun Case Into a Book Nook


I am really excited about this new piece. The kind of excited that I couldn't stop smiling all the way home from the local thrift store with it in the back of my car.

I found this beauty and knew immediately it was a must, even though I was splurging on my average DI purchase. I payed $30 for this guy.

Before:

After a fun filled hour or two ripping it all up and taking the ugly out it was time to start the sanding, painting, adding two shelves, bead board, painting handles and sewing up a bench pillow.

After:




There were two things that I did different than I have in the past and I was thrilled with the results.

First, I added termite holes during the antiquing process. A friend that worked for a cabinet company suggested this. I took a nail and a hammer and started making larger holes using more pressure and then lightened up until they were small marks. This really gave it texture and a finishing touch.


Second, I put a small amount of stain where I had sanded the white boards, all corners, sides and knots in the wood. This made the antiquing pop and match the bottom bench seat better.


My kids where thrilled when they saw me filling the shelf with their favorite books. They have spent hours in it already.




11 comments:

Jenn said...

Very cool! I love it! You always do a great job!

Carlee said...

I love the idea of turning a gun case into a shelf. The added bonus is that it is actually sturdy and bottom heavy. I always worry that my kids will pull down our book shelves.

Nancy said...

A-DOR-ABLE! My kids are begging me to go out and buy a gun case....

Sarah said...

WOW! What a transformation!!

Found you through Someday Crafts!

Jenn Erickson said...

Such a great find and a beautiful, creative transformation! Every home should be so lucky to have a book nook!

So glad I saw your link-up at Someday Crafts!

Jenn/Rook No. 17

Lisa said...

Wow. I'm so impressed that you saw the potential. Very cute.

C.B.M said...

That...is...AWWWWESOME!

aimee said...

what a fab idea i love it im a new follower xx

Tiffany said...

Absolutely amazing! I never would have seen something that wonderful in something so ugly.

said...

Oh wow! That is a spectacular transformation! I see these from time to time at GW, but have never known what I could possibly do with them! LOVE!

Lisa said...

I love this! It looks so cosy. Great job