Monday, August 8, 2011

Household Hint

You'd think that I would get used to the high cost of berries at the grocery store, but every time I buy raspberries it kind of makes me mad. Really, four dollars for such a small container? What makes me ever more mad is that you almost have to use them immediately. It irks me when I purchase berries and within days that have already started to mold! I was on Facebook and found this tip. I with that I would have bookmarked it to give the person credit, but I didn't even think about it

Wash any kind of berry in a vinegar and water solution. You can use plain old white vinegar or cider vinegar. Use one part vinegar to ten parts water. The vinegar will kill the mold causing germs on the berries extending their life. You can mix it up in a bowl and put the berries in that or spray it on. I feel like the vinegar taste is not strong enough to worry about rinsing off, but you totally can.

Remember to store the washed berries in the refrigerator to help extend their life even more.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I totally agree with you. The price is insane. Great tip!

Emily said...

Thanks for the tip! My husband will love this one too... I'm always wasting money because the fruit goes bad too quickly