Monday, July 18, 2011

Capturing Grandma

My kids are SO blessed to have so many grandparents! They have 3rd and even 4th generation grandparents that they get to know. I am not sure how long each one of them will be around. I wish forever, but I know that things don't work that way. I want my kids to remember how great all of them are, and how much each one of them LOVES and adores them.

I want my kids to be able to look back when they get older and have a photograph help trigger a memory, a thought. Something that they can see, smell, and remember.  I want them to remember that they have a big support group cheering, hollering and rooting for them. They are not alone; they weren't when they came and they aren't when those tough times come.

Some of the best pictures of my kids are capturing them when they are having fun. I had planned a game trail at a couple grandma's houses. In advance I took a game to their house along with a treat for the end for the grandma's to hand out. We gathered up the kids and took them to their first stop. Grandma was waiting with the game set out. The kids had a blast and so did the grandma's. I also was able to capture some of these great memories through photographs as well.

Here are some tips to capturing great pictures of your kids with their grandparents:

Lighting: Outside in the shade is the perfect place to take pictures. If you are doing them inside, take them in a room that is lit up with natural light.

Angle: I tried to focus in on the Grandma's faces. If they are playing games most likely they will be in a circle. I wanted to show how happy these Grandma's were playing with the kids.

Get close: If you take a high mega pixel shot you can crop in close, but if you are not don't be afraid to get in there. Most cameras do a great job with blurring the back ground when you get up close and take a picture. Don't let your camera capture to much back ground as that is not what you are trying to capture and it drowns out your focus.

Grandma playing chase.
What do you get when you go to Grandmas? Root beer and ice-cream.

I can't wait to do this with the rest of these special grandparents!

1 comment:

Vivian said...

I know what you mean. It's a blessing indeed. And it's great thing you've been able to capture their moments together in camera. My kids also have their great grandparents alive so we've really treasure the times we've been able to have them around.