This is a summertime favorite for my family. My husband and dad both love it. I like that this recipe makes a huge bowl full. I have never tried to half the recipe, there is never a need. What doesn’t get eaten the first round is divided up for anyone who wants it for lunch the next day! It’s perfect for potlucks and BBQs. The hard thing about this salad is that it has to be made in two steps with at least 8 hours between each. If you do the first part before bed, you can get up and finish in the morning.
What you need:
1 Box Acini de Pepe (You’ll find this in the pasta section)
3 cans Mandarin Oranges-drained
2 can Pineapple Tidbits-save the juice
1 can Crushed Pineapple-save the juice
1 Regular Size Cool Whip
10 Maraschino Cherries-halved Optional
1 c Mini Marshmallows (White or Colored)
1 c Sugar
2 T Flour
1 t Salt
1 ¾ c Pineapple Juice
1 T Lemon Juice
- Drain juice from fruit. Remember to save the pineapple juice. Leave fruit in strainer and put in refrigerator. You want to drain as much juice from the fruit as possible. The juice makes the salad runny.
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Drain, put in large bowl and set aside
- Mix sugar, flour and salt
- Gradually add eggs and pineapple juice
- Cook on medium heat until thick almost like pudding
- Stir in lemon juice
- Mix sauce and pasta together. Refrigerate covered overnight, at least 8 hours.
- Stir in Cool Whip, fruit and marshmallows. Mix until well combined.