What you need:
Yellow Cake Mix (and all the ingredients to make the cake.)
1 Medium-Large Orange for each person
Heavy Duty Tin Foil
- Cut and save the top off each orange. About a half inch from the top.
- Hollow out each orange with a spoon. This is kind of like cleaning out a pumpkin before you carve it. You won't be using the fruit in this recipe so eat it now, save it for later or throw it away.
- Make the cake mix following the instructions on the back.
- Fill each hollow orange "cup" about 3/4 full.
- Put the lid back on top and double wrap in tinfoil. (Write your name on the foil with a Sharpie.)
- Place directly in the campfire and let them cook. After 15-20 minutes check to see if the cake is done. You can rotate them once or twice to help them cook evenly.
- CAREFULLY, remove the cakes from the fire with tongs.
- Eat right out of the orange with a spoon, you don't need a plate or bowl!
|I had a super cute helper!|
|She was so proud of herself for using the hand mixer. I hope she doesn't get any ideas!|
|The orange cakes weren't being very photogenic, but the few that I didn't burn tasted great!|
Have you ever made these? What's your favorite flavor combination? Orange with chocolate cake? Orange with lemon cake? I bet if you found a large lemon you could do this with a lemon cake too! Maybe a grapefruit and white cake. The possibilities could be endless!