Friday, May 6, 2011

About You Week: BBQ Dry Rub

I have to admit, this theme was hard for me. What recipe is "About Me?" The other ladies all did great posts on things for you. I love Erica's cleaning plan. I used it as a starting point for my own. She suggested to me that I post my favorite recipe.

So, here's the scoop. I love BBQ: meat, beans, potatoes, cornbread. Oh, I love it. I eat it all year, not just during the summer and grilling season. I came across this recipe online for a dry rub a couple years ago. I don't even know where I found it. The thing that I really like about it is that I can adjust it for my mood. Do I feel like a little more garlic? Sure, add some more. Do I want the meat a little spicier? Add some extra pepper. It is also easy to make a large quantity for larger pieces of meat. I've only tried this on pork. I've done ribs and pork roasts. We usually pull the pork for sandwiches. I feel like it would be good on chicken as well, but I'm not sure about beef.


This is a pork shoulder. It was rubbed the night before, and then placed in our smoker for several hours. We finished it in the oven on medium heat.

Dry Rub
1 t Garlic Powder
1 t Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 t Paprika
1 t Fresh Ground Pepper
1 t Mustard Powder
2 t Salt
3 T Brown Sugar
  • Mix everything together
  • Sprinkle on both sides and rub into the meat
If you're making ribs they are so good smoked with this rub. You can also throw them on a grill. If neither of these are an option for you try this:

Seal rib sections in foil with a Tablespoon of water in each package and bake for 2 hours on a cookie sheet in a preheated 325 degree oven.

Want a great recipe for cornbread? Buy two boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix and one box of their Yellow Cake. Mix them all together just like the packages say. Pour in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at the Cornbread temperature until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments: