Thursday, March 17, 2011

Prosciutto & Peas

Happy St. Patricks Day! Was anyone visited by a leprechaun today? Anyone get pinched? I sent my kids to school with green hair. I wonder how the school district feels about that (laughing sinisterly to myself). The dish that I am posting today has green peas, so it is totally St. Patrick's Day approved!

I saw this on the cover of the Food Network Magazine for March. It is delicious. I think I loved it more than anyone, and I really felt like there was a piece of heaven in my mouth.


Here's what you need:
4 ounces Prosciutto (Don't be alarmed by the price per pound, around $14, you only need a small amount. It will be about $4. It's so worth it.)
2 T Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves
1 T Tomato Paste
1/4 c Heavy Cream (I used whipping cream you can also use half and half)
1 Pound Frozen Ravioli (One day I will make my own)
1 c Frozen Peas
Parsley
Grated Parmesan
To start, get a pot of boiling water going for your Ravioli. You'll need some of the pasta water for the sauce. Once the water is boiling add the frozen ravioli. Follow the directions on the bag. Usually, you just wait until they float to the top. When they are cooked drain and set aside. Remember to save 1 cup of the pasta water.
I had the deli slice my Prosciutto about 1/4 inch thick. For 4 ounces I had 3 slices.  Cut Prosciutto into small pieces.

Cook in a skillet with 2 T Olive Oil. You want the meat to be crisp. It takes about 4 minutes over medium heat.
Once the meat is crisp add the Sliced Garlic and Tomato Paste. Be careful, garlic burns easily. I walked away for 2 minutes and mine was a little black. Oops.
Carefully, ladle 1 c of pasta-cooking water into the skillet. Simmer until reduced by half. This takes another 4 minutes.
 
Pour in 1/4 c Heavy Cream. Simmer until thickened. About 3 minutes.
Toss with cooked Ravioli and Peas. I didn't take a picture of the peas. I boiled them for about 90 seconds, just so they were hot. You can also add a little chopped parsley (I didn't).
When you're ready to serve the meal, top with Grated Parmesan.

We had a bag of salad and garlic bread with this. It was perfect. This meal fed 4 adults.

8 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Shauntel,
This looks like a very delicious dish. The addition of Prosciutto and Peas makes a great combination of flavors.We would really enjoy this dish. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Christina said...

ooooh looks very good! Might not be WW friendly though... ;)

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

The Single Nester said...

If I were on a deserted island and could only bring one food, it would be prosciutto. I had some last night in fact.

Keli said...

This looks great! I've never had prosciutto before. I've heard a lot of good things about it though. Not sure where to find it even...

Thanks for sharing at What's Cooking Thursdays. Hope to see you there this week.

www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Oh so yum! Love me some prosciutto! Looks really good.
Stopped over from FTLOB. Have a good one!
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Love prosciutto! Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday, this recipe looks amazing. A definite must try!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

You had me at peas =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

HaleyLeann said...

Can I have some peas? ;-) That looks totally delicious! Thanks so much for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!!!