Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Master Bedroom Wall Mural


Remember the dresser I refinished in blue.  Well my awesome husband (who is a great artist) and I decided we wanted to add more to the master bedroom and paint a wall mural.  I also wanted to bring more of that gorgeous blue into the room.  When we first moved in we painted all of the walls tan, except for one wall in the master bedroom that we painted dark brown.  I knew this would be the perfect wall to add something to.


There are a few ways we tried to paint this huge wall mural.  The first technique we tried was to use a projector to project the image on the wall.  We wanted to make sure this idea would work, so we just started with the area to the right of the window.  We were afraid of not getting straight lines, so my husband had the great idea of using painters tape.  


First we overlapped the tape and covered the area where we wanted the image.  We projected the image onto the wall, then traced the outline with a sharpie.  Finally we used an X-Acto knife to cut out the space that we wanted to paint.  We used left over white paint that we already had on hand.  Here comes the problem with technique number one.  When we pulled the tape off, the paint had run.  We were able to fix it afterwards using a white paint pen. 
 

For the rest of the tree, we tried out a second technique.  We did the same thing using the tape, sharpie, and X-Acto knife, the only difference was we used white spray paint.  We were afraid it wouldn't match the first part we had done, but since they aren't actually touching you can't tell at all.  The other change was that my husband drew the rest of the tree freehand, because we had to take the projector back.  I actually like his freehand work better than the original.  
 

The final step was to add cute little blue birds.  Yet again using the same technique, my husband drew some birds that we painted the same color blue as my refinished dresser.  I absolutely love how it turned out.  I also love that it was hand drawn by my adorable husband, he truly is amazing. 


3 comments:

Meg said...

I LOVE THIS!!! Such a great job!

Ma Heather and Pa Craig said...

I love this mural. I'm so glad that I've seen it in person, it's beautiful. Hey Mike, my house is waiting.

Kara said...

Do you think you could send him over to my house next!?