Thursday, November 3, 2011

Nylon Headband Tutorial

The remaining Polka-Dot Umbrella girls are sad to say goodbye to our good friends, Carlee and Emily.  We want to thank them for all of the great ideas they have shared and wish them the best of luck on their latest adventure The Mary Frances Project.  Go check out their new blog, it is adorable.

On another note we are very excited to introduce you to the newest member of The Polka-Dot Umbrella, Meg.  We are thrilled to have her join our ranks and I am sure you guys are going to love her.  She has so many great ideas and is so creative.  Meg got married last February and is having a blast personalizing  her apartment.  She loves to go hiking and camping.  Meg also enjoys trying new things and is always testing out different ideas.  Here is a small taste of what Meg has to offer.



I don't like to spend a lot of time fussing over myself, but I don't like anyone else knowing that. I have noticed over the years that if I shove a headband on my messy hair, nobody notices my hair. However, most headbands are too tight for my head, pushing until I get a headache and have to take it off. This is why I make my own headbands. This way I look good and can be comfortable too!


All you really need is a pair of tights or nylons. I got the idea to make a headband out of my tights after I  had gotten a hole/run in them. You can also buy a new pair and it works just the same.


Cut one leg like this. You should have a toe piece that you can just throw away, a small piece (2 inches) and a long piece (22 inches). 


With the small piece, wrap it around the long piece twice, just like you would put an elastic around your hair to make a pony tail.  This piece will be used to cover where the headband is sewn together.


You can either use hot glue or your sewing machine to put the two ends together.  I have used both ways and either works great.  Make sure that when you sew them together your long piece of nylon is not twisted all funny.


Now cover where the two ends were glued or sewn together with the small piece of nylon you have already wrapped around your headband. And voila, a headband!


I have also made a flower from the top of the tights, what would go around your waist.  I just super-glued the flower right on top of the small piece covering the seam. 

Be creative! You will have a lot of material left, but I will post a nylon flower tutorial soon! 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Darling headband. Super thrilled you are going to posting every week.

Amy said...

That is adorable Meg! You are genius. I have an old pair of tights that always ends up bunching up so the crotch is clear down by my knees... I think I am going to cut them up and make one of these.