Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Patriotic Pillows

The 4th of July is my all time favorite holiday.  I love fireworks, barbeque's, summer, and spending time with family and friends.  Even though it is my favorite holiday, I don't have any decorations. I know, pathetic!  Well, this is the year to start!


First I made my own pillow form using this awesome tutorial from Honeybear Lane.  Can you believe how expensive it is to actually buy a pillow form?  I think the price is ridiculous, I always save my batting scraps just for this purpose.  I made my pillow form 15"x15". 


To make the pillow above I pretty much used the same method as I did on my pieced placemats.  The only difference, was that since I was only making one pillow, I didn't need to use strips.  I just cut out my squares (5.5"x5.5"), sewed them into rows, ironed them opposite directions, and joined the rows together.  For the backing I used some leftover white fabric that I cut to 15.5"x15.5".  Stuff it with your pillow form and hand sew the opening with a hidden stitch.


Do you remember my Multi-Use Pillow?  Well here we are again with another use.  I did the exact same thing as before to make the band.  I tied the bow with a scrap piece of fabric.  Since I was being lazy I just hot glued the bow onto the band.  This literally took me 10 minutes, if even that.


Now I have two new pillows using only fabric and supplies I had around the house.  I love seeing them out on the couch looking cute.


1 comment:

Ma Heather and Pa Craig said...

Very cute! Maybe next 4th of July I'll have my patriotic quilt finished that you helped me get started on. Let's hope!!!