Sunday, February 20, 2011

Patriotic Scrap Quilt

I love when there are days off from school. My son likes to stay up late with us and then we sleep in the next morning. I love sleeping in. In honor of Presidents Day, I wanted to show you my flag scrap quilt. The whole point is to get rid of extra red, white and blue fabric (it's really tan not white, it makes it look more rustic). Of course you can go buy fabric just for this also. It takes about 18 different prints of the red and tan and only 8 blue/navy.


Cut your fabric into 4 1/2 inch squares. You will need 135 red squares, 125 tan squares and 54 blue/navy. Use a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

There are 17 rows, 19 across total.

Row 1 will need 9 blue then 10 red
Row 2 is 9 blue then 10 tan
Rotate the blue then red and tan for 7 rows
Starting row 8 with tan, rows 8-17 rotate using 19 blocks of red and tan

I sewed all the rows first and then ironed the seams alternating left to right for adjacent rows and sewed the rows together. My quilt is not finished yet, but I won't add a border. I have a ton of squares left over (long story) so I will make my binding from them. You can use you own style of binding. When I take it to be quilted I am asking for stars in the blue and wavy lines through the red and tan. This would also be a good quilt to tie. The finished size is about 74"x66".

Happy Presidents Day!

6 comments:

Ten Cow said...

That's really cute! I love scrappy quilts! Good job!

orhedricks said...

I love this too! I'll have to make me one. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

Thats beautiful.

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

Wow! It's really gorgeous. What a way to use up the scraps!

I found you on Tatertots and Jell-O's blog, just checking out the organizing links.

Kamie said...

Shauntel, you are a domestic goddess! When I grow up, I want to be you :)

Unknown said...

We have lots of Americana decor in our home, so I am just drooling over this lovely quilt. Simply beautiful!! Thanks bunches for linking up to my blog bash K.I.S.S., always appreciated. :)

http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com